Tuesday, October 5, 2010

influence


All too often I'll see design magazines featuring Asian inspired rooms that are more kitsch than sophistication. Because Asian Art is my true love, I'd like to share some of my favorite antique and contemporary pieces.

Classical Chinese furniture has always been my weakness. If you are looking to invest in a custom or reproduction chair, study up and make sure the proportions of the piece you want are true to the original designs. The Minneapolis Institute of Arts has a world-renowned collection of Chinese hardwood furniture, and the interactive website is a great resource. Custom horseshoe armchair from P.A. Larkin.

Hand painted wall coverings from Gracie Studio - available at Holly Hunt Ltd. in Minneapolis (to the trade).

Traditional brass ring pulls from Chinese Brass Hardware would look great on a simple end table like the Mondo from Room and Board.

And no Asian inspired room is complete without some antique accessories. Green glazed ginger jar, Laotian Buddha and Negoro Wan bowl all from LAMONT.

Want more ideas for creating an Asian inspired space? Email me at info@sarahljones.com

No comments:

Post a Comment